That would be me

That would be me

Friday, September 3, 2010

An overwhelming amount of awesome


Do you ever have one of those days that seem to just go wrong from the second you wake up? You stub your toe on the bed, slip in the shower, and bite your tongue instead of your Corn Flakes. You know . . . THAT kind of day?

Well, yesterday was NOT that kind of day.

Yesterday was the kind of day you hope for but know that the odds are against you.

Yesterday was a day of multiple "Big Deal" events.

First off, I had a Non-Equity General Audition for one of the Seattle Big Regional Theatres. They hold them every other month but you are only permitted to attend twice a year. I actually kicked off Launch last year on October 1 with one of these auditions. That one went fairly well, ending with a "nice job" and that was about it.

THIS audition was a completely different story.

When I walked into the room, the auditor looked at me as though she was pretty sure she knew me (I am hoping that is because I am memorable and NOT because I send TOO many postcards with career updates). We had a brief conversation about how we "might have known each other" and then I did my two pieces.

I felt pretty strong about my pieces. I had not "over-rehearsed" HOW I was going to do them. Rather I decided to try to just learn the words inside and out and to focus on WHAT I was saying and just let the body do what it does naturally. As I was doing them, I recall feeling how easily they seemed to be flowing. There was none of that normal "I am auditioning" tension. I was just and my words and we seemed to be moving along in perfect harmony.

After I was done, the auditor was smiling and we had a great talk about how much she loved my pieces and wonder why more actresses didn't choose ones like them. The words "wonderful, very nice, specific" sprouted up quite a bit. She then went on to say that while this season was fully cast but that NEXT season would be announced in a few weeks and I would "probably be hearing from them."

Now, I have been doing this long enough to know that her saying that may not actually lead to anything. I don't care. Those words were exactly what I needed to get out of that audition. Everything else is gravy.

But wait!! There's more!

Then I get a phone call from an audition that I had earlier in the week – even though I was NOT available for the callbacks, the director decided to have ADDITIONAL callbacks so that he could see me again. Woot!! He even scheduled the auditions around my ridiculously busy weekend.

And THEN

Last night we had our Preview performance for "The Last 5 Years." Small but wonderfully receptive audience that absolutely roared with applause at the end of the show.

As far as Sami the Actress goes – days just don't get much better than that.

Opening Night Tonight! Let's see if the awesome continues.

1 comment:

  1. Hot damn! You go girl. So very proud of you!! Hope the show is going well - can't wait to read updates!!

    ReplyDelete