That would be me

That would be me

Thursday, August 19, 2010

You always remember the first time

Tonight we had our first rehearsal with the orchestra. Well, technically, it was only 3/5 of the orchestra but it was exciting nonetheless. As first times tend to go, it was a little rough. This comes as no surprise since this was the very first time they had ever played together. Ever. And one of the musicians had not even gotten a copy of the CD so he was HEARING it for the first time AS he was trying to play.

Rather than make me worry about the fate of the show, I was STRUCK by how these amazingly talented people were working so hard on really tough music two weeks before opening night with very busy lives and/or ridiculous commute - all because I asked them to.

Yes, there is SOME money involved but even I know the amount is paltry compared to what they are worth.

Herr Director frequently makes references to the fact that a few years down the road we will all feel blessed and fortunate to have been a part of this show. I am already feeling that way. This people are sickeningly talented and I get to play with them.

Sometimes the theatre gods decide to be nice and have everything just kind of lay itself out at your feet as you need it. That has definitely been my experience with this show. It is all coming together exactly as it should. And even I am much more comfortable with the whole process than I thought I would be. Just imagine how good it is going to be once the audience shows up.

Two weeks till opening and I can not wait to show these people off.

No comments:

Post a Comment